Sunday, January 30, 2011

A little sun in January? Yes please!

This article is basically a reprint of something that I did with Maryanne for a new online culture magazine in Victoria called Culture Vulture.  Make sure to check it out here.

Who could blame me? My first thought when asked to do an article on Mexican cocktails was “so what ‘new’ twist do I put on the Margarita?”  While I am not here to debate whether the classics should be left alone or not (I see no reason that we should limit ourselves), I decided that I wanted to do something different.
My next thoughts turned to the cilantro infused tequila that I made for delicious, efficient shots and Mexican styled bloody caesars.  Surely this tequila holds many more possibilities.
At home, using one bunch of fresh cilantro (preferably organic) per 750 ml bottle of blanco tequila, I let the tequila soak for 48 hours.  I recommend streamlining this process by transferring the tequila into a second wide-mouthed container before adding the cilantro.  This eliminates a great deal of unnecessary struggle trying to remove pesky stray cilantro stems.  After 48 hours, simply transfer back the tequila into the original vessel with a funnel and a fine strainer.
It seems to me that cilantro has a polarizing effect on most people.  The previous paragraph ought to serve as a fairly clear indicator as to which camp I belong to.  Another popular ingredient in Mexican cuisine that I don’t foresee myself tiring of anytime soon is chili.  While one only need add tomatoes to have a decent bloody Mary (or salsa), I want to keep this cocktail light and refreshing while yet preserving the savory elements of cilantro.
I will be using a decent blanco tequila in this drink to capture the raw vegetal quality of tequila that has not been coloured by barrel aging.  My goal here is to evoke a ‘freshness’ capable of transporting the drinker away from any clouds, rain or dreariness associated with our Victorian winter.  To further enhance the freshness as well as the visual appeal of the drink I want to add some fresh cilantro and basil.  
It now occurs to me that it is entirely possible that you may wish to stop here for a well deserved break.
Simply muddle fresh basil and cilantro in the bottom of a short rocks glass
Fill with crushed ice
Add a generous portion of cilantro infused blanco tequila
Garnish with additional herbs, stir and enjoy
While this simple cocktail is certainly potable, if you’re still thirsty, I want to flesh out the drink with a layer of complexity and lighten it up a bit.  Both cilantro and chilies have the interesting abilities to create false impressions of temperature.  They are also amazing at balancing each other out while dancing across the palate and therefore, I’m going to add a little bit of chili heat by way of a simple syrup.  It should go without saying that red chilies are extremely potent so I only slice up eight for two cups of simple syrup and because this cocktail will only require a dash of the simple syrup, that recipe should be more than ample.  Using a chili syrup has two distinct advantages.  The first is that the syrup (when kept properly chilled) will preserve your chilies significantly longer than your refrigerator could ever hope to; and, it adds a subtle dimension of sweetness that satisfies the palate.

While, until this point I’ve only used ingredients that are well acquainted with each other, in order to lighten up this cocktail, I’ll need to take a brief trip across the Atlantic.  Cinzano Orancio is light orange flavoured vermouth from the same people who bring us the sweater Cinzano Rosso in is available in BC liquor stores for around thirteen dollars.  Using Orancio made sense for two reasons: orange and tequila have been friends ever since the first margarita and, vermouth’s herbaceous qualities will blend well with the fresh herbs in the cocktail.  I want to further tie all of these ingredients together so I will use some Peychaud’s for the herbs and Angostura orange bitters for the citrus.  Now, with everything together, I present the Mexican Connection. 

The Mexican Connection
Muddle 3 sprigs fresh basil
Muddle 8 pieces fresh cilantro
1 ¼ oz cilantro infused tequila
1 oz Cinzano Orancio
⅛ oz chili simple syrup
2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
2 dashes Angostura orange bitters
Fill a tall cocktail glass with crushed ice and top with soda   
Garnish with basil and chili peppers
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment