Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Drinks of Summer

So besides partaking in some educational seminars, what has kept me occupied these days?  Summer is around the corner and that means a new drink list tailored to the legion of thirsty patio drinkers.  The main focus has been simplification.  Thanks to some modifications to the liquor laws of BC, we are now permitted to pre-batch cocktails.  This is going to seriously save my ass for making anything nicer than a rye and ginger.  The plan is to pre batch mojitos, margaritas, sangria and “cosmos”.  The mojitos are important because of mojito mondays where we knock $2 off of the price of every mojito all day.  It would seem that this is sufficient motivation to get people to drink.  I would love to have the time to carefully construct a 2 oz mojito with individually freshly squeezed juice for all four to five hundred patrons getting sloppy in the sun but I am only partially robot (I had a human mother).  I am still excited, however, to see the response to the hibiscus flavouring that I will be offering.  The hibiscus will come from a syrup that I will be making using Alchemist’s Brew Silk Road tea which also includes lemongrass, rosehips and essential oils of mint.  This will save me muddling time once I go into drink dispensor mode.  
Mauna Kea Mojito
Fill tall highball glass with crushed ice and add:
1 oz Hibiscuss & Mint syrup
1 oz Lime juice
2 oz Havana Club Blanco
Top with soda
Garnish with lime, mint leaves and edible flowers
*Hibiscus Syrup
Bring 4 cups water to a boil
Add 2 tbsp Alchemist’s Brew Silk Road Tea
Remove from heat and allow to steep for 10 minutes
Strain out tea leaves into new vessel, clean and return
Add 6 dashes essential oil of mint
Add 4 cups white sugar and bring to a boil
Makes approx. 40 oz
Batch accordingly


No comments:

Post a Comment